Saturday, July 4, 2009

I Can't Believe I'm Still Blogging



Quite a shocker. I've just been so inspired in the kitchen lately and being a classic introvert, I'm discovering that being able to share things I'm passionate about without opening my mouth to speak, sometimes, is a godsend.

So, it's a rainy 4th of July here in Chicago and it suits me just fine. I'm sitting under an umbrella on my deck, writing, drinking tea and eating some homemade skillet cornbread fresh from the oven.

When I was a child, my Grandma Skeets had a pretty reliable repertoire of things she would make. One of them was Jiffy Corn Muffins. I'd help mix them and end up eating quite a bit of the batter raw. Perhaps I was drawn to the strong metallic kick from the baking powder. What can I say? I can't defend my childhood tastes, I just loved it.

Anyway, this is a very special skillet cornbread recipe from the book, Fresh Every Day by Sara Foster. I use local, non-homogenized buttermilk and fresh ground corn meal from Three Sister's Farm at Green City Market. I just ate it for breakfast with room temperature butter and raw honey. It would be great reheated as a side to salad or with a plate of fried eggs and sauteed greens. When summer tomatoes arrive, I might make panzanella salad out of it the next day after it dries out a bit. Just a thought.

SKILLET CORNBREAD


Use a 10 or 12 inch cast iron, enamel clad cast iron, or stainless (such as All Clad) skillet

2 tbsp olive oil or bacon grease
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
2 large eggs beaten
2 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled to room temperature

preheat oven at 425F.
pour olive oil or bacon grease in skillet, tilt to coat sides, place in preheated oven.
stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda and powder, salt in large mixing bowl.
add buttermilk, eggs and butter, blend with spoon until smooth, don't over-mix.
remove hot skillet from oven and pour batter in (it will sizzle which is awesome!) and bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean and slightly golden brown.
wait for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Okay, this looks DELICIOUS!!! One of my favorite foods. I'm so trying this out .......

Excited to see all your new posts, and I look forward to reading them.